Are your sinks or tub/shower draining really slowly? Whether it’s the smell or the clumps of hair sticking out, it’s time to clean all of that gunk out of the drains!
Before you reach for that bottle of eye-burning gelatinous goo that goes down the drain, STOP!
You don’t need to poison yourself and your family to clean. We’ll show you how to remove clogged drains without chemicals.
Is there a Non-Toxic way to clean those drains?
Yes! And we’re going to share the simplest, safest, most effective & Non-Toxic way to clean those drains without ANY health concerns!
What Dangerous Chemicals Are In Drain Cleaners?
Many drain cleaners contain very toxic chemicals that can be harmful to your health, and even deadly! They may get your drain clean, but at what cost?
- Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach)- Bleach is one of the most toxic chemicals used in homes. It may whiten and clean, but using it with other chemicals creates Mustard Gas!
- Chemical warfare in your house is not what you want!
- Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) – while using small amounts of lye to make soap is safe, in the concentrations in drain cleaners, it is very toxic because it is being inhaled.
- Hydrochloric Acid– is a strong corrosive acid used in the steel industry to prevent rust. It’s also found in pool chemicals and household cleaners.
- Trichlorobenzene– a man made solvent used to clean. It goes into rivers and drinking water, and the half life (how long it takes for 50% of it to be gone) is 1 month in the air!
- Trichloroethane (methyl chloroform)- is a chemical used for degreasing.
- *** It has been known to cause reproductive and developmental problems. It crosses the placenta and is even excreted in breastmilk!
- Sulfuric Acid– used in fertilizer manufacturing, battery acid,explosives, and drain cleaners. It breaks up corrosion.
- That may be great for your car battery, but you don’t want to inhale it or touch it!
- Sodium Nitrate– used as an agent in fertilizers and explosives. It provides a water soluble form of nitrogen and is used for treating and finishing metals.
Side effects of these chemicals:
- severe skin burns
- eye damage or blindness
- throat irritation/burning
- asthma attacks/trouble breathing
- tissue destruction
- chemical burns on skin/eyes
- lung/organ damage
- temporary hair loss
- cardiac dysrhythmia
- developmental/reproductive issues
No one should have to risk serious injury or death just to get their drains degunked! There has to be a better way, right? Isn’t there a Non-Toxic way to clean and clear them out, without health hazards?
Yes, there is! And, it’s simple and effective. Using safe and simple ingredients you can have those drains draining and stink free in no time!
Follow this recipe to Degunk your drains!
What you’ll need:
- 3 scoops Oxyboost
- 1 scoop TrulyFree Enzyme Stain Remover Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
- 1-2 Cups Vinegar
- Add Dry ingredients IN ORDER to the drain
- Add vinegar
- Let bubble/fizz for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse drain with HOT water for at least 1 minute
Note: This can also be done as a preventative, to keep drains clear and clean, to prevent clogs.
How Does It Work?
The Oxyboost is an oxygenated cleaning powerhouse that is activated as soon as the vinegar hits it. It has natural disinfecting properties and the oxygenated action lifts the gunk off.
Baking soda is a great natural cleaner and stain remover. Because it is alkali (neutralizes acidic ingredients) it dissolves dirt and grease easily.
Vinegar really gets the action going! That’s why you add it last. It activates all of the ingredients and releases the Oxygenating power of the Oxyboost, along with the enzyme action of the Enzyme Stain Remover Powder. It also activates the cleaning power of the baking soda. That’s why you’ll hear that ever satisfying “fizzzzzz” when the vinegar is added. The vinegar activates and assists the other ingredients with cleaning and clearing out that drain.
How Do I Prevent Clogs/Gunk Buildup?
This recipe is also great to use as a preventative measure. Use it monthly to prevent clogs from happening too!
Things To NEVER Put Down the Drain Or Disposal:
- Coffee Grounds– they aren’t totally water soluble. This means they mix with grease, oil, and other gunk already in the pipes,which can cause a clog
- Butter/Margarine– they may melt, but then they form back into a solid. And they are greasy! This means they actually form a water resistant barrier in the pipes.
- Cooking Oil/Grease/Fats– These are one of the top causes of clogs. Oils mix with other debris and gunk and clog up the drain.
- Eggshells– Another BIG cause of drain clogs. They are terrible for the blades of your disposal. The membrane of the egg can wrap around the blades and cause blockages. When the disposal grinds them, they are in tiny, tiny bits that don’t always wash away and then they get compacted in there and form a blockage.
- Pasta/Rice– Remember how small they were before you added water? Then they expanded. Well, that’s what happens in your drain too!
They can keep expanding and clog your drain. The flour in them can gum things up too.
- Medication– this one won’t clog your drains, but the medication will go into the water, presenting an environmental hazard
- Flour– When you run the water down the drain flour can form like cement in your pipes
While it may seem harmless to put some of these items down the drain every now and then, remember that they will build up over time. It may not cause a problem right away, but over time, as you do it “every now and then”, it will cause gunk and a clog eventually.
How Often Should You De-gunk Your Drains?
Because these things do build up over time, and it’s almost impossible to keep some of them from going down the drain is a very small amount, that is why it’s important to use the Degunk Recipe periodically to help keep your drains clean and clear.
You’ve heard the old saying “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. Well, it’s definitely true in this case! Regular degunking can save you a lot of time and money for a plumber.
We recommend you degunk your drains once per month, to maintain clean, clear, and stink free drains.
You cleaned and cleared those drains with Non-Toxic, planet friendly products! It was quick and easy, and you didn’t have to open windows and worry about making yourself or your family sick.
What is the next project on your “To Do List?”
Whatever job you need to tackle, we are there to give you the tools you need to clean your home quickly, easily, and safely with Non-Toxic, waste reducing products.
All of TrulyFree’s products are non-toxic and considerate of the environment. The first time you purchase a product that requires a jug/bottle/cover, you will receive the container for free. After that you will only receive refills.
Got laundry? Got things to clean? If you have stains, we have answers! Check out the rest of our blog for more tips and tricks!